Saturday 22 February 2014

Spring has Sprung! - My Top 5 nail varnishes

Since spring is beginning to show itself here and there (I went on a shopping trip to Harrogate today and there were some gorgeous crocuses just peaking out from under the grass on the stray, yay!) I thought I would start a bit of 'top 5' mini-series where I can share my spring essentials. I have cleverly entitled this 'Spring has Sprung', oh yeah, points to me for that one please!

As an avid nail polish-er I always have my nails painted, and as much as I love the darker colours that are perfect for winter it is always refreshing once spring rolls around to be able to brighten up your nails with pretty, fresh colours. So read on my loves if you want to know my top 5 nail colours for this time of year:

(Disclaimer: this is quite a Barry M heavy post! Apologies)




1. Models Own Hed Kandi - Baleric Cool: This is a gorgeous shade and I love the fact it isn't a clear cut baby blue, it has a grey tinge to it which is what I think makes it a great spring colour. It's not too in your face and still has a bit of that wintery vibe to it.

2. Barry M Gelly Lychee: This is one of my all time favourite nail varnishes. I love the Barry M Gelly polishes anyway because of the formulation but this colour is divine! I remember when the Gelly polishes first came out and this colour caught my eye immediately, but I was in a sort of limbo as to whether I actually liked it or not so I didn't get it.  But every time I went into Boots I'd end up staring at it trying to work out whether I loved it or hated it. So one day I just bit the bullet and, it turns out I bloody love it!

3. Barry M Confetti Effects in Dolly Mixture: This is a good one for putting over the top of other colours, but it also looks just as good on a naked nail. The first time I wore it, it was over a naked nail and I got so many compliments (even from men!) I was very impressed. The pastel shades are what makes it a good polish for spring and it just adds a bit extra to a mani without having the in your face look glitter sometimes does.

4. Barry M Gelly Prickley Pear: I don't even think I have to say why this is such a perfect varnish for spring. Its lilac, what more can I say.

5. Rimmel 60 Seconds Rose Libertine: I. love. this. colour. (although unfortunately, it's come out a bit on the coral side on the above picture), but it is a beautiful rosy pink. Again, as with the Models Own colour it's not a sickly pastel. It's subtle and adds a nice touch of girliness without making you think of a Barbie.

And just for good measure here's two that almost made the Top 5 but narrowly missed out....



6. Barry M Gelly Greenberry: A fresh, minty green. Although it is a pastel it's not overly pastel which is probably why it just missed out on the top 5 but I still think it's a spring colour, after all spring is when everything starts to get green again so it's a no brainer really!

7. Barry M Silvery Lilac: I really love this polish but it loses points for such a shoddy name. It's iridescent and shines lilac to green. The colour payoff is actually quite sheer so again, it's not in your face which I think is the key to a spring nail.

What are your top five spring nail colours?


Until next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment