Monday 13 July 2015

Clean Eating Recipe: American Style Pancakes


Pancakes have to be one of my favourite breakfast foods ever. I used to love going to Frankie and Bennies (or anywhere) that served pancakes for a bit of a treat. I didn't do it often, but when I did, man it was good! So when I began eating clean I definitely prepared myself for not having pancakes for breakfast for a good long while. But that was before I opened my Clean and Lean Cookbook and saw this wonderful recipe.

I've tried to find healthy American style pancake recipes before, and they are out there but they often include buying expensive ingredients or ingredients that aren't readily available in my nearest supermarket (namely buckwheat flour). Thankfully, these pancakes are made out of three (yes, three!) cheap and simple ingredients that you could find almost anywhere!

Clean and Lean Pancakes (serves 2):
100g porridge oats
200g cottage cheese (!)
4 eggs
a teaspoon of cinnamon
fruit toppings of your choice (I usually go for strawberries, blueberries and a bit of maple syrup)
Method:
♥  Blend the oats, cottage cheese, eggs, cinnamon and you're ready to go.
Calorie Count (approx):
♥  Total - 774
♥  Per Serving - 387
Per Pancake - 129
+ whatever fruit and syrup you use

And it's that simple.




Absolutely delicious! 

Also, it's worth noting that I absolutely hate cottage cheese with a fiery passion so I was dubious the first time I gave these a go but I can confirm that they really don't taste like cottage cheese. I mean I can't guarantee that if you didn't have the toppings there wouldn't be a slight taste there but with the fruit and syrup you really have no idea you're eating anything other than fluffy American pancakes. 

I also think these would be pretty easy to adapt, perhaps putting some vanilla essence in rather than cinnamon, just egg whites if you wanted to lower the calorie intake, or even some protein with the oats. I'm not someone who has ever taken a protein supplement before so I don't know how that would work exactly but I'm sure there'd be a way!

No comments:

Post a Comment